Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If life is a highway, I guess I gotta have a car!

I am so fortunate to work with an eclectic group of individuals.  They all bring their own very interesting dynamic into my life.  We have Benji, whom might be considered a modern day C.S. Lewis.  Where would I ever be without my girlfriend, Mel.  You had better not mess with me, or you will have to deal with her.  Trust me on this, you will not win.  The one who probably gives us the greatest quotable lines is Tony.  I think he could be a refined Larry, the Cable Guy.

Yesterday, Tony told me that I needed to go car shopping.  I have a very reliable Nissan Altima that is almost paid for and I have no intention of trading that girl in.  However, I am sure you can gather that he was not talking about a literal car.  Yes, it was an analogy.  "How are you going to know what kind of car you want if you don't go test drive a few?"  That was a starting point for a great conversation.

So, what kind of cars are out there?

Sports car:  "an open, low-built, fast motor car." The term describes a class of automobile with two seats, two doors, precise handling, brisk acceleration, and sharp braking -- trading practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity."  Who doesn't love to go for a joyride with the top down and the radio blaring?  As fun as they are, I think I will pass on the sports car.  It just isn't practical.  Since most of them are two seaters, you can only take one person along with you.  There is absolutely no room for luggage.  Even a trip to the grocery store is usually out of the question, unless all you plan to buy is milk and eggs.  They look good.  They are fast and they are fun, but they can also be extremely dangerous if not handled properly.

Luxury Cars: A vehicle that provides luxury -- pleasant or desirable features beyond strict necessity -- at increased expense.  Tony says I should focus on the luxury cars.  I admit they are nice to ride.  My dear friend has a Mercedes and you feel like you are floating down the road.  I am not too sure about this one either.  First of all, they are high maintenance.  Dealers are not readily available, so often you have to send them to another town to be worked on.  In addition, they are usually so nice, that you can't just relax and have fun.  Dirty shoes, drinks and French fries are out of the question.  We have to hold our breath and keep this thing in top notch condition.  Oh, they look good and you feel good in them.  But, I want to be able to relax.  I just don't think that a luxury car is for me.

Economy Car:  A car that is designed for low cost operation.  I know that I risk looking as if I am talking out of both sides of my mouth, but economy car doesn't sound like what I am looking for either. They are not high maintenance, but at the same time, I do want to know that I can reliably make it from Point A to Point B.  I want a car with a good track record and some economy cars don't exactly hold those.

Work Truck: A vehicle that is rated at more than 8,500 and less than or equal to 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, and is not a medium-duty passenger vehicle.  A work truck is reliable and there to help you get the job done.  It might not be the flashiest vehicle on the block, but it can take care of business.  Tony says that a work truck might not be thrilling like a sports car, but it is multi purpose.  You can use it for work all day long.  Then you can clean it up and take it into town for a night out.  It sounds nice in theory, but I can't see myself in a work truck.

I am so confused now.  Maybe I just need to get an El Camino, half car and half truck.

Alas, I have considered all my options and I still am not really sure what I want.  I guess that is because I hadn't exactly planned on car shopping.  I was pleased with the one I had.  It suited me well.  But, it broke down and can't be fixed.

I have never wanted to be the one to make the decision when shopping for a car.  It is a major investment. I always felt like whatever I picked, I would have "buyer's remorse."  Well, my friends, the next time I purchase my proverbial car, I plan on it being the last.  I don't want there to be any remorse on my part or the car's part.  That is just not a responsibility that I am willing to take.

So, what is a gal to do?  I am going to do the best thing I know to do:  let the One who knows me best pick out my car.  He knows my deepest desires, needs and hopes.  After all, He is the One who knit me together in my mother's womb.  He knows what will fit me best, meet all my needs and give me a thrilling ride at the same time.  So, I think I will hand Him the checkbook and let Him do the shopping for me. I have no doubt that He will put me in the perfect vehicle, be it a sports car, a work truck or even an El Camino.

In the meantime, He is letting me ride with Him.  I like His car.  It is comfortable, exciting and reliable, all at the same time.   So, I will coast along in this top of the line ride until He decides to hand me the keys to my new (or at my age, I guess I should say used) car.

In the words of Rascal Flatts, "Life is a highway and I'm gonna ride it all night long."

No comments:

Post a Comment