Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I loved them all.

As I was working on a sewing project last week, I placed a small bowl on the table beside the machine.  When I cut excess thread, I would drop the pieces into the bowl.  A couple of hours into the project, there was a small mound of thread.  I looked at it and smiled.  It was Mrs. Mattie Lou that taught me that trick many years ago.  I was a young mother and she was a member of our church.  When it came to sewing, she was more than a seamstress.  She was an artist. 

I loved being a pastor's wife and truly felt as though God had placed me right where I was supposed to be.   When my marriage ended, that role ended as well.  Initially, I struggled greatly with that.  I truly enjoyed the opportunity to have so many wonderful people as a part of my life.  The wealth of knowledge that I have gained from so many of those wise parishoners has greatly shaped me into the person that I am today. 


My dear Elizabeth
 Before there was extreme couponing, it was Elizabeth who taught me how to shop the sale papers.  She was the one who taught me that $0.79/lb was a really good price for chicken.  I still think of her when I bake her squash casserole or chicken pot pie.  Often, I quote her when I ask someone to pray for something, "If the Lord reminds you, would you please pray for..."

I guess God saw that I was lacking in self discipline, so he brought Jan into my life when we pastored in Montgomery.  Every morning at 5:10, she was waiting by my driveway.  We were off for a brisk two mile walk.  This was no morning stroll, mind you!  It was a hustle.  She was a few years older and many years wiser than this young mother.  When I complained about a church member that I thought was being incredibly different to deal with, she would just smile and chuckle a little and say, "Amy, just be glad you are not them."  I have sure used that line many times in the years that followed.

In Slapout, He continued to bring more good friends into my life.  Karen taught me that you can let go of bitterness, even when you have been greatly wronged.  Alice taught me how to cook incredible fried rice and egg rolls.  Ms. Jo showed me how to cling to your faith even after losing your only child and husband within a few short months.  Whenever I am tempted to lose heart, I think of many of these dear friends and it gives me a little boost to carry on.

This list is by no means exhaustive.  There were so many others that added so much spice to the flavor of my life.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude when I think of all that I have gained.  Above all, I am thankful for the love and compassion that been poured out to me through the years. 

There is rarely a month that passes without Charles giving me a call.  He was an older member of the Baptist congregation in Slapout, but we called him one of our own.  When he calls, he always ends the conversation by saying, "You know God loves you and you know I do too."  I do know that he loves me and that has given me great comfort during some very difficult moments.

With just as much strength and certainty as God brought the call to be a the wife of a minister to me, he released me.  That was a wonderful part of my life, but I no longer miss being in that role.  He has moved me to different areas of minister and I never look back with longing, only gratitude.

Mrs. Mattie Lou taught me just about everything I know about sewing.  I would proudly take my completed projects to her.  The first thing she would do was turn them inside out.  She always said that they should look as good on the inside as they did on the outside.  Even though she was holding a small smocked dress in her hands, she was teaching me about life.  At times, each and every one of us are going to have our lives turned inside out for the world to see.  I learned from Mrs. Mattie Lou, that I should live my life in such a way, that when those times comes, the world will see ragged and torn edges that have been beautiful finished by the hand of the Master Tailor.


2 comments: