Friday, December 10, 2010

From the Ferris Wheel to the Zipper

I love the fair. We anxiously wait for it to come around each year. My favorite ride is the ferris wheel. It is a nice slow ride. When you get to the top, you have the picturesque view of the entire fair. I see people riding the zipper. They are screaming and squealing at the top of their lungs. I am so glad that is not me.

My life was somewhat like riding that Ferris Wheel. It was pleasant and enjoyable as I cuddled in my seat of life with my partner while my legs dangled, happily swinging back and forth. I watched other people screaming wildly as they rode the zipper. I did not envy them one bit. Granted, at times they looked like they were having fun, but they also looked scared half to death, and some were getting sick. Nope, that life was not for me. I was happy on my ferris wheel, and that was where I chose to stay.

To my great chagrin, my ride on the ferris wheel came to a sudden and complete stop when my partner wanted off. I was sailing over the top when it jerked to a halt. "What in the world was happening?" My cart rolled to the bottom, and I had to step out of my comfortable seat. I did not get off without a fight. I kicked and screamed with all my might. Nonetheless, the attendant took my hand and gently led me away as I watched my partner go in another direction.

He led me to the zipper. I stood in front of it, frozen in fear. I am terrified of the zipper. My heart is pounding wildly. There is no part of me that wants to get on this ride. What if I get sick? What if I cry? The attendant smiled kindly and said, "You will be just fine. I am buckling you in tightly. I will be in charge of the controls. I know you are afraid, but if you will just relax and trust me, you will have the time of your life."

This is the story of that new, crazy ride.

Hebrews 12:1-2
A huge cloud of witnesses is all around us. So let us throw off everything that stands in our way. Let us throw off any sin that holds on to us so tightly. Let us keep on running the race marked out for us. Let us keep looking to Jesus. He is the author of faith. He also makes it perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment